Bill Gates House Interesting Facts
– Currently 300 workers including 104 electricians.
– No visible electrical outlets anywhere. Gates does not like “clutter”.
– Construction likely complete in September 997, months behind owner’s
– 2 steps from the main floor to the main entry (or take the
– Wood columns from main floor to roof in entry area are over
70 feet long.
– Theme throughout main floor is high tech. lodge. Primary
structure is all exposed similar to large logs in a lodge except the
logs are PERFECTLY finished.
– All timbers used inside and out are finished the same – inches have
been removed from the exterior of the wood and then sanded to a satin
– All timbers are nearly perfect in that there are almost no knots.
– All connectors are structural grade stainless steel.
– All bolts throughout the house are stainless steel and oriented the same
– All woodwork is flawless. Much of the woodwork is of various rare
species from all over the world – imported especially for the Gates’.
– Some of the interior passage doors weigh over 800 lbs, but are balanced
for easy use.
– Accoustics are a concern throughout. Various woods and fabrics are being
used. Accoustic panels in the Ballroom move out of sight on their own.
– Roofing is stainless steel.
– Floor is heated everywhere including the driveway and walks.
– Ventilation system also conditions the air for health and comfort.
– Security system (automated and personnel) is redundant. Hidden
cameras everywhere including interior stone walls. Sensors in the floor
can track a person to within 6 inches. System is monitored at the
– Gates has a personal 4-car garage. House for the maintenance staff has
its own-car garage. Nanny parks in the 6-car carport across from the
main entry. An additional 0-cars can be parked in a subterranean
arched concrete building which through an electronic transformation
becomes a basketball court.
– Nanny lives in plush quarters in the main residence near to the Gates’
– Existing cedar tree was determined by Gates to be in the wrong
location and moved 6 inches.
– Gates insisted on saving a 40 year old maple adjacent to the driveway.
The tree is monitored electronically 24 hours per day via computer. If
it seems dry, it gets just the right amount of water automatically
– There will be an 8 hole putting range.
– A salmon hatchery is being finished.
– If you wish, your music will follow you throughout the house – even at
the bottom of the pool.
– Many doors are blended so well with the walls that it is hard to see
– Theatre (underground in a concrete shell) is the most state of the art
theatre in the world according to specialty contractor.
– Entry gate senses when your car approaches and opens fully by the time
– Very old antique cabinets from China have been brought in and built into
the walls with adjacent paneling built to match the cabinets exactly.
– 52 miles of communication cable in the building.
– Shower curtain next to the spa is a 4500 lb slab of granite.